During two scheduled meetings in Maxthon’s IRC channel, Bloodchen, Maxthon’s main developer and founder, gave a few hints about the upcoming major version of Maxthon, 3.0
If you have missed it you would be happy to know that Johnnylegend (a member of Maxthon’s community) is keeping transcripts for both meetings and makes them available for all Maxthon fans to read, you can find them here: http://en.wordpress.com/tag/irc-gg-general-gibberish/
But If you want to take the shortcut, here’s what we have learnt so far about Maxthon 3.0 and future plans ahead in the development…
- Maxthon 3 is being worked on, an “internal version” is said to be released soon to the internal testing team, this doesn’t mean that Maxthon 2 will be abandoned, more features will be added to it.
- The well-known “Awseome bar” of Firefox will make its way to Maxthon in a way or another.
- Userscripts or Greasemonkey support is “considered”.
- A Privacy mode, found in IE8, Firefox and Chrome will be added to Maxthon too.
- A new engine would be added in addition to Trident (IE), so Maxthon 3 would be able to use both (optional), the new engine is “faster and more [compatible with] standard[s]” and open-source.
- The interface would be more customizable.
- The application will be more portable out of the box.
This is not set in stone of course, bear in mind that things are subjected to change.